About this blog

As public employees, we work for the people of Connecticut. This blog seeks to provide information on the activities of the OCC to the public, and perhaps start a conversation around issues of concern to consumers. The views expressed here are solely those of Consumer Counsel Katz.

Friday, May 2, 2014

Talking Gigabits on the Colin McEnroe Show

One of my favorite things I've done in this job was appearing on the Colin McEnroe Show yesterday.  I was on the air with former FCC chief of staff Blair Levin and CTNewjunkie reporter Lon Seidman.  The invitation to appear on the show stems from a conference we hosted, Towards a Gigabit State: A Conversation about High-Speed Broadband for Municipalities and Public Officials. We had a really interesting conversation about ultra-high-speed "gigabit" internet service:  why we need it (or do we?); what the uses could be; what other cities have done to bring gig service to their citizens;the policy implications of recent net neutrality decisions and policy changes; and what we are doing here in Connecticut.  I really liked that one caller, Suzanne, said she was going to change the channel when she heard the topic because she didn't think it mattered to her, but as she listened, she realized that she had a really strong opinion on the topic.  OCC's motto is advocate, educate, serve -- if we're getting people engaged on these important telecom issues, then I think we've accomplished our mission.

As Colin noted, I'm a former student of his.  He was my professor at Trinity College when I was working towards my Master's in Writing, Rhetoric, and Media almost ten years ago, when he taught a graduate course in blogging.  It occured to me as I was inserting a link into this post that I only know how to do that -- or how maintain a blog -- because of that class.

You can listen to a podcast of the show if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment